Monday, September 21, 2009

Hola Festival

Saturday we went to the Hola Festival in downtown Knoxville. I thought it would be pretty small because it was in Market Square which is not a very big area. It was HUGE!!! It was a big celebration of Hispanic countries and cultures. I LOOOOOVE Hispanic cuture!!! It was way fun. They had booths set up from maybe 15 different countries and you could get a pretend passport and go to the different booths and have it stamped. They had booths with displays and information about the country and then they had separate booths that were selling foods from the country. Mmmmmmmm, especially being pregnant, it was actually tons of delicious smelling food. Mexican food is my favorite so I was definitely in heaven.

The kids area was especially amazing. After spending (cough) a little more money than we hoped at the fair, this festival was great. We paid $1 for Mabel to get a bracelet and then she could do anything she wanted in the kids area. She made a bug house, Mexican paper flowers, a guitar, painted a maraca, and got to ride a little merry-go-round. She had a blast. So did Randy and I. Randy was disappointed in the Paraguay booth, it was run by a high school student. He is planning to volunteer next year to do it. I think it would be really fun for him. A lot of the booths were run by families from the country. Did I mention how delicious the food was?!

Here is Randy helping Mabel make her bug house. Home Depot sponsored the festival in case you were wondering what a bug house has to do with Hispanic culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment